Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Celebration Bars!

I got really motivated to bake yesterday. I don't know if it was the new cookie and cupcake blogs I found, or the excitement of the election results rolling in, but all I know is I needed to bake something. So I did.

Piecing together the chocolate cookie crust from a cheesecake bar recipe, a variation on brownies I found (a sort of blondies/chocolate chip cookie bars concoction -- brown sugar brownies!), and a touch of spice because I've been dying to make something chocolate-y and spicy, I give you Celebration Bars!


Chocolate Crust
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a Baker's Edge pan (or any 9x13-inch baking pan). Begin by making the crust. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy. In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa and salt. Working at a low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture. Mixture will be crumbly when all the flour has been incorporated. Press evenly into prepared pan and bake for 15-17 minutes.

Brownies
1 1/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I swapped the nuts for 60% cacao chocolate chips)

While the crust bakes, sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture and the nuts (or chocolate chips) until well blended.

Pour the filling over the hot/warm crust, spreading evenly (you may want to use your hands once it's all in, as it is quite sticky). Bake 25-30 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed. Cool slightly. While still warm, cut into bars with a sharp knife.

I cut mine into 32 slices because they were pretty deep (doubled recipe).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...those were good. :)